Sunday, June 24, 2007

Dinner at Perry's








Perry's Restaurant in Adams Morgan has the best rooftop dinning in Washington. Sitting under the Christmas lights on Perry's roof deck on a balmy night, looking out over the city with a beautiful platter of fresh sushi in front of you, few things come close to topping the experience.  Luckily for me, this was my Saturday night.  

You'd never know it from the outside, or even once you step inside, what's in store for you up on the rooftop.  The setting always makes me think of being on a boat.  Not in a sea sick kind of way, but in a everything is beautiful and clean and fresh looking kind of way.  Once you are seated up on that roof, its hard to remember that you're in Adams Morgan.  Actually its hard to remember that you're in Washington DC, and not out in the ocean somewhere with a sea breeze lazily blowing through your hair.

The one thing about Perry's that causes endless stress however, is trying to get a table.  On a warm Washington night, a rooftop table is a very coveted thing (think Kate Moss's clothing line at Top Shop, or if that means nothing to you, think finding a parking spot for your hummer on Saturday night on 18th Street).  Compounding the problem of table space, is the restaurant's strict reservations policy.  They don't take reservations after 7:00pm.  So my advice is to get there before 7:00 or be prepared to get good and drunk at the bar while you wait for a table.

Perry's has both a fine dining menu, and a sushi menu.  Everything I have ever eaten here has been good.  I usually stick with sushi, but this time Julia ordered crab cakes off of the other menu to start, and let me tell you, they were outstanding.  The sushi is fresh and imaginative and delicious.  And even better its affordable.  The other menu looks amazing all kinds of gourmet appetizers, poached peaches with goat cheese and delicious sounding fish and chicken and steak dishes. Those are on the pricier side, in the $30 - &40 range for entrees.

They have a fancy $10 a pop cocktail menu, but I would steer clear of it.  I sampled the white sangria, and the pomegranatini and wasn't impressed by either.  Their wine selection on the other hand is great, and other drinks from the bar are more reasonably priced.

We ordered a peach cobbler for dessert which was served with browned butter ice cream.  It was outstanding, and they serve the best espresso I've ever had at a sushi restaurant.

I would recommend going here if you are looking for a romantic evening in a beautiful setting, or for a special occasion, or just for drinks, or just for dessert, or if you've had a long day, or really I'd recommend it for any day of the week if its warm out, because its a lovely lovely place to eat.

The food is fresh and consistently delicious, the service is professional and friendly, and the setting is picturesque.  Perry's gets an 8.5 out of ten which equals 4.25 out of 5 stars on my rating scale.

Perry's is located at1811 Columbia Road NW (on Coumbia near 18th). Phone: 202-234-6218
Perry's website

3 comments:

Unknown said...

nice camera work pumpkin. will you take me here? am i too dorky? POD

Andrew said...

you're brave to sit outside on a DC summer night... is there indoor seating too?

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.